Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Fire damage can be a devastating and stressful experience for everyone involved. SERVPRO of St Clair Shores often arrives on the scene as the first responders complete their jobs, witnessing firsthand the damage even a small fire can cause to a structure.
Your Roseville home or business will require professional cleaning and restoration as soon as possible. SERVPRO of St Clair Shores are trusted leaders in fire cleanup and restoration services, and we have returned many homes and businesses to pre-fire damage conditions over the years.
In many cases, re-entering a fire-damaged building is often highly discouraged. Aside from structural damage that could lead to further injury, there may be unsafe electrical wiring and gas line issues. Firefighters will clear your home or business for safe re-entry after a fire, and they should tell you if your utilities are safe to use and turn them off if they are not.
Safety should be the focus of Roseville residents after any fire damage event.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (586) 741-5050
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.