Space Heater Safety in Roseville, MI
Space Heater Safety
About 25,000 house fires and 300 deaths are attributed to space heaters each year, mostly caused when a heater is placed too close to curtains, bedding, or upholstered furniture, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. In addition, 6,000 people end up in emergency rooms with burns from touching a heater’s hot surface.
Half of all home heating fires happen during the months of December, January, and February.
- Place the heater on a hard, level, and nonflammable surface. They are intended to sit on the floor, not on a table.
- Establish a 3-foot kid- and pet-free zone around the heater, and never put a space heater in a child's room.
- Keep the space heater at least 3 feet away from combustible materials, such as furniture, bedding, and curtains.
- Don't use a heater in a workshop or garage near paint, gas cans, or matches.
- Turn it off when you leave the room or go to bed.
- Unplug the heater when it's not in use by pulling the plug straight from the outlet. Check the cord for damage periodically, and don’t use it if it’s frayed or worn.
- Don’t plug another electrical device or an extension cord into the same outlet as a heater—that can cause overheating.
- Install working smoke alarms on every level of your home, and in every bedroom, and test them monthly.
We are here for you 24/7. In case of an emergency call SERVPRO of St. Clair Shores (586) 741-5050.